Who doesn’t like homemade chicken nuggets?! This is a nutritious dinner recipe, which your little ones will love, and you can add so many different accompaniments to it, so try different things and keep it interesting! My little man loves them served with a square of Sweet Potato & Zucchini Rice Slice.
It also makes quite a number of nuggets, so I like to freeze them in a container or zip-lock bag and then defrost and heat one whenever I need it. So handy!
And it contains the perfect combination of tryptophan, complex carbohydrates and calcium to help promote sleep. 🙂
Parmesan Chicken Nuggets
2 chicken breasts
3-4 slices wholemeal or wholegrain bread
2 eggs, whisked
1 cup wholemeal flour
1/2 cup parmesan, finely grated
Olive oil, for shallow frying
1. Cut chicken into pieces for your little one’s hand (these will shrink slightly when cooked).
2. Process bread into crumbs using a food processor or stick mixer.
3. Add parmesan to crumb mixture and stir to combine.
4. Set up four bowls – one with the flour, one with the eggs, one with the crumb mixture, and one ready to hold your chicken nuggets ready for cooking.
5. Take one chicken piece and roll it in the flour, then dip it into the eggs, then roll it in the crumb mixture, then place it into the empty bowl. Repeat with each chicken piece!
6. Shallow fry each chicken nugget until golden brown and cooked through.
You can also make this recipe more interesting by adding a handful of finely chopped parsley, or a pinch of finely ground lemon rind to the crumb mixture. These are yummy served with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice! 🙂